Friday, April 23, 2010
I'm in love.
We met last year, shortly after I moved to this tiny house. It was a fairly quick infatuation on my part, fading somewhat as the days shortened and winter crept in.
Now it's spring again, and everyone knows just where a young woman's fancy turns lightly to in spring. As Charles Schultz says, oh-so-eloquently,
Pacific Dogwood has captured my heart. Everywhere I look this month, those pale creamy or soft, rosy bracts are bobbing in the breeze, or bejeweled by the light rain, jostling and waving in an all-too-successful attempt to capture my eye. They are so compelling that I am stooping to deceitful behaviour. Last weekend in the early evening, I unabashedly lied to my dear husband. I told him that I was going to sit out on the patio with glass of wine to enjoy the lingering daylight. Hah! A likely story.
In fact, I was eager to spend more time gazing at the tall specimen in our yard. It's come into bloom (into bract?), and is beauteous to behold. I noticed last year that the crows were actually breaking off thinner branches; for nest building, I suppose. Our tree appears a bit slighter this year. Perhaps I'll need to shoo away those meddlesome corvids.
I was delighted to find that my 1990 World Book classifies my crush as Cornus Muttallii. A fitting moniker, I thought gleefully, for a Dogwood. Moments later, modern-day technology disabused me of this whimsical notion and gently corrected the species name to Cornus Nuttallii.
Drat. I think I'll stick with old book knowledge on this one. I prefer the prior designation.
Sunday, April 04, 2010
bb makes me feel like Cary Grant in "To Catch A Thief"...the stuff she blogs is really tempting, and unlike him, I can't resist stealing it.That and the fact that I'm still coming out of a bad slump and am too lazy to be creative right now.
- Do you like bleu cheese? No.
- Have you ever smoked? No.
- Do you own a gun? No.
- Favorite type of food? Crunchy things.
- Favorite type of music? Lots-.
- What do you think of hot dogs? Needs to be a well-done one with mustard and sauerkraut, please. (My dad has been known to eat them raw....ugh!)
- Favorite Christmas movie? It's a Wonderful Life.
- What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Some form of coffee with 1/2 & 1/2.
- Can you do push-ups? Can I ? Yes. Will I? I'd rather not.
- What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? My wedding rings.
- Favorite hobby? words.
- Do you have A. D. D.? Nope.
- Do you wear glasses/contacts? Glasses.
- Middle name? Ann.
- Name three thoughts at this exact moment: I want Cheez-Its. We need to dye the eggs. It's cold.
- Name three drinks you regularly drink: Water, milk, coffee.
- Current worry? Long work week ahead.
- Current hate right now? Now, as ever, lima beans.
- Favorite place to be? Home.
- How did you bring in the new year? Quietly.
- Someplace you’d like to go? Ireland.
- Name three people who will complete this. Liz....
- Do you own slippers? Just uber-thick socks.
- What color shirt are you wearing? Springy-green.
- Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? No.
- Can you whistle? Yes. With and without the use of fingers.
- Where are you now? In the office.
- Would you be a pirate? In a perfect pirate world, yes.
- What songs do you sing in the shower? Can't recall the last time I did that.
- Favorite Girl’s Name? Emma.
- Favorite boy’s name? Sam.
- What is in your pocket right now? Lint.
- Last thing that made you laugh? Marion's morning joke.
- What vehicle do you drive? A PT Cruiser.
- Worst injury you’ve ever had? Bitten in the face by a dog. Don't like German Shepherds much.
- Do you love where you live? Yes and no. It's an evolving relationship.
- How many TVs do you have in your house? 1.
- How many computers do you have in your house? 3.5.
- If you changed your job, what would it be? Baker.
- If you were granted three wishes, what would they be? Stealing again from bb: Health, wealth and happiness.