Monday, December 31, 2007
"Love" was lovely, and it was a nice getaway. We three did a pretty good job of enjoying ourselves and having fun. Cirque du Soleil was grand, and the music was a really interesting re-mix of wonderful Beatles tunes. The girlie was delighted, and even her dad, who doesn't go to shows if he can help it (busman's holiday, you know) was impressed.
Now we're home and thoughts are turning to Seattle. If you haven't guessed it already, I've taken the position and we leave in just over a week. CRIKEY! There are many complicated plans afoot and I won't bore you with them now, but the wheels are in motion and I'm calmer about it than I expected to be. Have wanted to get the the Northwest for some time, and so here we go!
Must publicly thank the divine Norma for Paying It Forward with such style and panache and COOKIES! Didn't get to take photos, but you can go and see them on her blog from a short time back. Go ahead, go take a look, but make sure you have a napkin handy. Mmmmmmmmmm. Also, Norma, the packaging arrived intact and there likely WILL be photos of that--you extremely generous lady, you!
One sentimental note for this final post of 2007. Thanks so much to all of you quality folk that I've met through this blog. It feels so good to know that there are a bunch of wacky, witty, literate and thoughtful crafty people out there, and being able to blabber and chat with you all does me good.
Best of everything to all of us in 2008! Wish you well!
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Saturday, December 22, 2007
Friday, December 21, 2007
Saturday, December 15, 2007
I have photos which I'll put up later, and will tell you for a damn solid fact that KT is as cool as her blog makes you think that she is. Emily will back me up on that one, right Em? Thanks for all the hookups, KT, you are beyond magnificent.
Will post more about all this soon, maybe even this weekend, but I think I need a nap.
Meantime, here's the meme sent to me by both Della and my Maresedoats. Thanks to both of you, this is a fun one!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real--I love to just sit in the room with it and inhale.
3. When do you put up the tree? A few days before Christmas.
4. When do you take the tree down? Early to mid-Jan.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes! Homemade is best, of course, but a stiff shot of rum and some fresh nutmeg on top makes even the grocery store stuff imbibable.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A taxidermy-d iguana. Story another time.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. My folks made and painted it before I was born.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My redhead.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My aunt-in-law, but Miss M's a snap, too.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Can't recall.
12. Favorite Christmas movie Charlie Brown Christmas. That Vince Guaraldi music gets me every year.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Sporadically through the year, intently in Nov.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Oh my, yes.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? The cookies that Seth makes called Little Nut Balls.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Both.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Santa Claus is Comin' To Town, but only when it's Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band doing it. Hands down best ever.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home for the actual day, but travel before and after is great.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes.
20. Angel on the tree top or star? Star. One that Seth made for me from pipe cleaners and tinfoil back when I was living alone and had a wee, tiny tree. He threatens to ditch it every year.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Having to work which allows less time for crafting and decorating and baking!
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? The juxtaposition of old and new.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Tamales!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I have no idea!
Have a Happy Christmas!
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Here's where I'll be over the next few days......checking to see if perhaps we want to be there for more than a few days.......details when I get back.
After a rough month, things seem to be settling down a bit. An unplanned job change, Spot's Big Spleen Adventure, and Miss M's teacher abruptly leaving have made us all pretty edgy. However, I am working again, Spot got his staples out and is healing well, and the girlie likes her new teacher.
Wonder what 2008 has in store??
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Someday I will learn how to post the buttons in my sidebar to link to other cool blogs and/or the knitalongs or other thingies I am doing. For now, I'll just say that I was clever enough to remember to grab my camera as we left the house this rainy morning, and advise you to go look at Sandy's blog for her Saturday Sky photos and wonderful blogging content.
Hmmmm. I'd call it Seattle-ish weather, but KT tells me that actually, there was snowfall in Seattle today! Brr!
Finally, the results are in and we have a non-carcinogenic canine. The pathology report didn't tell us what the growth on his spleen was, nor why it burst, but it wasn't cancerous. Thank heaven. He's feeling much better, but is confused as to why we don't want him leaping around and nibbling his staples. He's also very annoyed that we are withholding kibble, and although he likes the boiled chicken just fine, he wants MORE!!!
Tomorrow holds a trip to one of the weirdest-looking stadiums ever to see my Browns (hopefully) pummel the Cardinals. Also to see an up-and-coming footballer who I've known since he was tiny strut his stuff in the Punt/Pass/Kick winners show at the game! Way to go, K!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Go here and read all about it. Sign up, then reward yourself by reading Gale's blog and ooh-ing and ahh-ing over her fabulous photography.
That Gale is a talented lady, ya'll. Let's help her out! I'm doing up a tasty pink version of Hello Yarn's Cherry Garcia neck tube. Quick and easy, knit-in-the-round, and ooooh, so cuddly.
Spot is on the mend; still looks funny from all the shaving they did, but his heart's beating in rhythm again and he's almost off all the other meds, too.
*sigh* happy me.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Norma's doing it. She rocks.
My turn now!
I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days. That is my promise. The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.
Your turn now!
Saturday, November 24, 2007
To my families and friends.
To my dear stoic redhead.
To the bravehearted girlie.
To all of you sending karma our way. (Keep up the good work! Please!)
And most of all to the welshie, patchily-shaven and sutured, for coming through this far and making it home where he ought to be.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Mr. Spot with nose decoration
Originally uploaded by kamsarmer
I know that there are lots of you with furry ones at home, and I'm asking for some good thoughts from you. Our sweet boy was rushed in for surgery this afternoon--he's stable and resting now. We're hoping to go see him within the hour. Please give hugs and kisses and pats to all of your dear animals tonight. Thanks.
Friday, November 16, 2007
Saturday, November 10, 2007
(who has a cool tutorial on Whip-Up)
0. Your name? kt.
1. First thing you wash in the shower? Hair.
2. What color is your favorite hoodie? If I owned one, it'd be oatmeal or grey
3. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again? Yes, please!
4.Do you plan outfits? Not unless I have to.
5. How are you feeling RIGHT now? A bit tired and lacking in chocolate.
6. What's the longest you've been with someone. Relation-ship-wise, Mr. Smartypants--together 19 years and married for 11 of them.
7. Do you say aim or a-i-m? It depends on what I'm trying to say...
8. Tell me about the last dream you remember having? Nightmare involving scary boss.
9. What are your pets' names? Spot.
10. What are you craving right now? Cheddar cheese popcorn or a walnut brownie.
11. Do you floss? Not often enough.
12. What comes to mind when I say cabbage? Sauerkraut! Reuben sandwiches! Yum!
13. Do you go tanning?I live in Arizona--how can I avoid it? But not purposely, no.
14. Who do you talk to most on instant messaging? I don't use instant messaging.
15. Would you dance to the taco song? I will dance to anything or nothing.
16. Have you ever counted to 1,000? Only when I'm having trouble sleeping, then backwards.
18. Where do you want to live? Vancouver, or somewhere in Europe--Spain, France, England.
19. When did you graduate? HS 1980
20. Have you ever met a celebrity?Yup--Bobby Sherman and Hal Holbrook. They weren't together, though.
21. Do you like cottage cheese? Only if it's used in lasagne in place of ricotta--otherwise BLECH!
22. What are you listening to right now? The fan cooling the computer.
23. How many countries have you visited? 10-ish.
24. Are your parents strict? About some things.
25. Would you go sky diving? Not unless the plane was crashing.
26. Would you go out to eat with George W. Bush? No, thank you.
27. Would you throw potatoes at him? No, I really LIKE potatoes.
28. Is there anything sparkly in the room you're in? Craft supplies.
29. What is your house decorated as? It didn't dress up this Halloween. It's just a house.
30. Do you rent movies often? Since I'm finding ones I like at the library, yes.
31. Who sits in behind you in your math class? That was too long ago to recall.
32. What was your first car? A Pontiac Bonneville. It was gargantuan.
33. What's your natural hair color? Brown--now with much grey.
34. Can you count backwards from 74? Last time I checked I could...
35. Who are you going to be with tonight? Mr. Smartypants and Miss M and Spot.
36. Brown or white eggs? Either as long as they're local.
37. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Yes.
38. Ever been on a train? Many times.
39. Ever been in love? Several times.
40. Do you have a cell-phone? Sadly, yes.
41. Where do you work? I don't right now.
42. Do you do your own laundry? Only if I can't get Mr. Smartypants to do it for me.
43. What is your best friend doing tomorrow? Going to a prep-school open house to scout out a job-ortunity, she hopes.
44. Who is your idol? I have many.
45. Ever have cream puffs? I have many times.
46. Have you ever seen The Butterfly Effect? No.
47. What was the last question you asked? "Why are you sleeping in my bed?"
48. What was the last CD you bought? "Let It Be" for Miss M.
49. Boys or Girls? For what intent and purpose?
50. What is your bus number for school? Don't go to school.
51. Is your hair curly? Modestly so.
52. Last time you cried? Tuesday.
53. Ever walked into a wall? You betcha.
54. What do you want to be when you grow up? Happy.
55. Have you ever bought anything from Pac Sun? I don't think so.
56. What's your favorite food? Potatoes.
57. Favorite time of the year? Fall.
58. Favorite color? Grey.
59. Where is your significant other? Waiting for me in the family room so that we can watch a movie rented from the library.
60. Do you have any tattoos? No--I sold them on E-bay.
61. The next person you'll hold hands with… will it mean anything? It will to me, yes.
62. Do you sleep with the TV on? Only if Mr. Smartypants is watching something and I've dozed off (a not-uncommon occurrence).
63. Where was your default picture taken at? Our kitchen.
64. What's the last movie you watched? Pride and Prejudice
65. Do you like your life right now? Mostly.
66. Who's your number one fan? Me.
67. What is your favorite animal? Elephants.
68. Do you have good vision? With glasses, yes.
69. What's your favorite t.v. show? Top Gear.
70. Can you hula hoop? Sadly, time has robbed me of this skill.
71. Could you ever forgive a cheater? It depends.
72. Do you have a job? Not at present.
73. Do you believe in God? Yup.
74. What are you wearing? An old, holey maroon t-shirt and pajama pants.
75. Who's your best friend? Mary T.
76. Have you ever crawled through a window? Absolutely. But it was open...
77. Can you handle the truth? Yes, please.
78. What was the most recent thing you bought? Groceries.
79. How often do you talk on the phone? More than I should.
80. What color is your carpet? Old.
81. Do you hate/dislike more than 3 people? Unfortunately, yes.
82. Do you like bowling? Very much, yes.
83. Are you sarcastic? Oh my, yes.
84. Have you ever slapped someone? I think so...
85. Do looks matter? Sometimes.
86. Do you use chap stick? A wonderful Italian brand called L'Amande, si.
87. Are you too forgiving? I don't know--I don't think so.
88. Do you own something from Hot Topic? No, and I think I'm getting an idea of the target demographic for this meme, but I'll finish it nonetheless.
89. Do you own a gun? Not even a water-gun.
90. Have you made a prank phone call? Yes.
91. Have you ever been in a castle? Yes, and it was very, very cool.
92. Do you like your hair? Most of the time.
93. Do you like yourself? Most of the time.
94. Are you emotional? Most of the time.
95. Are you sick of doing this survey? No, but I'm sure Mr. Smartypants is going to wander in here and ask what the hell is taking me so long....
96. When was the last time you talked on aim? ?????
97.Did you meet anybody new today? Yes, the nice librarian who checked out a Dr. Who movie for us (Tom Baker, if you care).
98. What's the closest thing to you that's red? My shirt
Friday, November 09, 2007
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Sunday, November 04, 2007
The girlie is discovering the joy of e-mail with a friend; I've pried her off the box so that she can practice before a guitar lesson with her cool 19-year old cousin.
Me? I'm debating scarf patterns for a friend and planning a couple of quick errands to use up the kiddo's lesson time. Then home to make some Thanks Boxes (info on those later), start a roast for dinner, and off to softball! Finals tonight.
The camera has scampered off to Sanyo in California for some spa and repair time. Meanwhile, in lieu of photos, this I love:
News for cats and dogs - Lobsters Escape From German Supermarket
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Originally uploaded by kamsarmer
I have fun pictures from the Arizona State Fair, but my camera is ill and won't release them.
My softball team won again tonight, which means we go to finals next Sunday evening! When we win the early game, we'll play a second game for the championship. Go Black Sox!
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Monday, October 15, 2007
Saturday, September 08, 2007
Monday, September 03, 2007
Saturday, September 01, 2007
Day trip to Sells to visit wonderful family. M is researching the Tohono O'odham tribe for a school report, so we took a trip to the new Tohono O'odham Nation Cultural Center & Museum just south of Sells. It's free and quite beautiful; go see!
The sky was constantly changing; overcast, brilliantly blue, and flinging down torrential, short rainstorms.
Friday, August 31, 2007
Sunday, August 26, 2007
(Question for anyone who stops in--remember my Frog-athon from last year? Anyone interested in playing along this year? If so, do leave me a comment--I'll try to get it together if there's some interest!)
Toolkit for my knitting bag-DONE!
Camera case--lacks strap...
I do really love elephants.