Friday, May 27, 2005

Let's try this again

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I prefer natural fibers, but acrylics aren't out of the question. Felt a very nice Caron acrylic last night, as a matter of fact.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

Crochet a bit, and tried a drop spindle recently and would love to try it again!

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Cigarettes stink, animals are no problem.

4. How long have you been knitting?

A year and 3/4.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Not yet.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Mild scents, cotton, linen. Peppermint and citrus scents, non-overpowering vanilla, chocolate or cocoa.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yes, and many a cavity to prove it!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I doodle with pencils, paints, and wonderful crayons. I garden and birdwatch and make birdfeeders. I make wire things; jewelry and small sculptures. I'm making an earring holder from ocotillo and baling wire.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

MP3s I dunno. CDs are no problem. I am a rock girl at heart (The Who, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Kinks, ELO, The Rolling Stones), but I'm a dabbler, and I love show tunes (Garland, Sinatra, Nat King Cole) and classical (ANY) and I am dipping a toe into new-ish sounds like Social Distortion, Green Day (YAY!), Gwen Stefani and Beck.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love Grey. All shades. I love greens and foresty colors; autumny ones like rusts and reds and rich browns. I cannot abide pinks.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I have a fabulous redheaded husband, an amazing nearly-eight-year-old-girlie, and a Welsh Springer Spaniel who is NOT a show dog.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

This is an easy one. To be as happy and healthy and as well-traveled as is humanly possible before I die. To stay with the same man forever. To watch my baby girl become a happy, confident, self-assured woman. To see George Bush Jr disappear.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I love wool, but it is not practical here in the desert. I want to start playing with silks and cottons, and SOON!

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Slick, plasticky-feeling acrylics. Difficult, tiny novelty eyelash yarns.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

I just finished my French Market Bag and I think I could really enjoy knitting more things for myself. I've given away almost everything I've made, and I've been happy to do so. I plan to continue giving, but it's nice to keep some around, too.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

So far, I've used a simple free pattern for a Fisherman's Rib scarf a couple of times with good results. The FMB came out much as I'd hope, too, and I'm looking into more felting projects.

17. What are you knitting right now?

A hat for a friend and I'm toying with a lace leaf pattern for a scarf. My last secret pal gave me some uber-soft alpaca yarn, and I really want to keep it!

18. What do you think about ponchos?

I made two for my girlie (see archive photos) and she liked them. I saw a very chic Scottsdale chick in a lacy one, but I don't know if they're ME.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I'm a convert, Addi Turbos are amazing, but I still love my wooden and bamboo straights.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo and wood whenever possible, please. They FEEL SOOOOO good!.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Not yet, but I know that's coming up.

22. How did you learn to knit?

Found a book in a wonderful local bookstore (where I used to work) and then asked my Mom to show me how. Thanks, MOM!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

About a month. I've been really good about finishing what I start, so far.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock and Thompson and Thompsen ! I also love Bullwinkle. I'm a birder, so I love them all, but have a special fondness for raptors and wading birds like herons and egrets.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Easy question! Halloween, hands down.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Small wooden boxes, elephants, things with realistic leaf motifs on them.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

None, but I'm thinking about Knitter's. It's a really nice, complete magazine.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I read almost anything; fiction, non-fiction, some sci-fi, so whatever looks good, I read.

No comments: